Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Tis' the Season for Coughs

With all the allergies and asthma going around in our house, we seem to always go through a couple rounds of persistent coughing in all the kids. The only thing I have found that helps them get through the night is Vapor Rub and cups of water. I don't think cough medicine really works, at least not for my kids. If you're concerned about the medication in Vapor Rub absorbing in the skin, I put it on their pajamas at the neckline, just smelling the stuff seems to clear them up enough to breath. Then, we have them drink water every time they cough. You may be changing wet sheets for a week, but it's better than no sleep for them, because sleep will help them get better.

For a really bad cough we have found the following helps. Take the child in the bathroom and close the door, run a very hot shower for about 10 minutes to fill the room with steam, then take the child to your freezer and let them breathe in the cold air for a few minutes or as long as they can stand (going outside for a few minutes if it's not too cold works too). My daughter Elise used to get croop (or what we thought was croop until she had it over and over again). Her doctor suggested this method to help clear her airways and calm the cough. We have found this helps with not only the croup but stubborn coughs too. If your child is coughing so bad you need to do something drastic like this, they should definately see a doctor.

Of course follow your doctor's advise over mine, and follow your instincts when they tell you to take your child to see him or her.

1 comment:

rachel_edgar said...

WOW!!! I made these this morning and they are AWESOME!! I have added it to my recipe box, giving all kudos to you:) I teach a cooking class at my homeschool co-op and I want to have the kids make these this year. SO there will be a bunch of 7-9 year olds in NJ making their parents your cinnamon rolls next spring:)