Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Little Things - In honor of my father's birthday

The Little Things

If you wonder what you’ve done, on this your 65th year,
It’s the little things, when added up, that do not seem so mere.
The little things that you have done like laughing away a tear,
Or “don’t worry I’m holding your bike back here”,
Then, “Oh, no, you’re not!", joy gives way from fear.
Little things like bumpy rides up, up, up the stair,
Then bedtime stories told, with a maiden fair.
Or “No you can not join us, your nightgown you must wear”,
Then “I’ve come to check on you, I have some steak to spare”.
Little things like listening doughnuts that made you well aware,
That where you were to leave me was a daily scare,
And a drop-off-kiss to remind I was loved while there.
So now my name has changed from Berg to LeClaire,
And the little things you gave, with my children we share.

By Rebecca Berg-LeClaire

No comments: